Carlo Crocco, founder of Hublot, grew up in an Italian family with a rich tradition of watchmaking. A personal interest in watch design turned to a public one when Crocco established MDM Geneva in 1980; his goal to create a trend-setting watch that would suit the tastes of the common man. He named this design “Hublot”, after the French word for porthole. Modeling the design on this naval feature, his belief that simplicity was the true vehicle of style would become Hublot’s future philosophy.
By 1990, the renamed Hublot was a widely accepted brand among the venerable Swiss watchmakers. As their style matured and developed, the brand embraced rubber bracelets as their trademark. After years of research, they designed a type of rubber that regenerated after coming into contact with human skin. The rubber provided a peerless cushioned comfort for the wearer, as well as giving the watch an ethereal lightness.
Five Unique Watch Designs
- The Boa Bang Gold Green: This dazzling watch truly deserves the name, with a snakeskin rubber strap and 48 light green baguette diamonds encircling the rose gold case.
- The Black Magic: This austere and masculine design is classically simple, with a trademarked black oxidized rubber strap and an ebony carbon fiber dial.
- The Gold Leopard: As exotic as the beast itself, this animal-patterned wristwatch features a case of 18 carat red gold, set with eight brilliant round-cut diamonds.
- The Tutti Frutti Dark Blue: The blued steel case and dial of this ocean-inspired piece complements the blue rubber alligator-patterned strap.
- The Tutti Frutti Purple Caviar: This glamorous, feminine design features 48 baguette-cut amethysts set around a polished black ceramic dial.
Five Innovations from Hublot
- Carlo Crocco spends three years researching and creating the world’s first all-natural rubber strap.
- Hublot becomes well-known for their innovative fusions between unusual materials; such as ceramics and gold, or rubber and pink titanium.
- The Hublot Big Bang Collection is awarded the Design Prize at the 2005 Geneva Watchmaking Grand Prix.
- During the same year, the Big Bang Chronograph is awarded the “Sports Watch Prize” at the Watch of the Year ceremony in Japan.
- In 2009, Hublot unveils an unprecedented system for detecting counterfeit timepieces.
Learn More About Hublot
Facebook Fan Page